I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.****Bennie Spencer Haley (June 13,1937 - October 8, 2006)

Sunday, October 22, 2006

My Dad was the Best of the Best. He got to read this letter 7 yrs ago. We read it at the funeral.


Thank you because you took the time






A letter for dad (merry Christmas)

Merry Christmas Dad, from me Scott (your eldest). I am writing this letter to you just to tell you Merry Christmas. This letter is my gift to you. Well now that I am creating it (your gift). I hope this letter turns out to be rewarding for you. The things I am going to talk about are already ours and have belonged to us since we created them together. I am going to make it official and hopefully a piece of work anybody can enjoy reading. I love you dad you are my hero. I will start by letting you knew that when you would call me and tell me this is old Santa Clause, I knew who I was talking to. Of course, I knew it was Santa. I truly believed it was Santa calling me to see if I have been naughty or nice and what I wanted for Christmas. That was serious moment when Santa called. It was a magical experience. Christmas time was always magical and although my friends said there was no Santa Clause, I was confident with the spirit that burned inside me. A truly

Real sense and feeling that I did not want to give up. The spirit of Santa Clause still appears every Christmas Eve. Santa Clause is real because he has evolved into a spirit those other believers and we, as parents will not let die. Thank you Dad for those wonderful Christmas times.

One Christmas I got a baseball glove and softball that was hard. The glove was a regent brand and it felt awkward on my left hand. You said that if I threw with my right hand then I should wear the glove on my left hand . I went with what you said but could not conceive how it would work on my left hand. Because you took the time to work with me in the back yard and play catch with me I became a good baseball player. Using my left hand turned out to start feeling good after we played catch almost everyday. I grew to be good at sports and sports have rewarded me tremendously. Thank you dad. I think I got a football that Christmas also.

These after school hotbox games, high pop flies, line drives and ground balls made me improve everyday, at the same time developing my identity. After I became too dangerous of a hitter to pitch to in the backyard, we would go to the backstops at Park- dale. You would pitch to me and usually a couple of my friends who noticed us having fun. Every one of my friends loves you and probably wished their father had been more like you. When you were not home, I was always counting down until the time you told me you would be home. You never failed to keep your word. I knew I could always count you in. the two times I remember being separated from you that were unbearable, were when you went to Philadelphia and when you had to stay during hurricane Allen. You made us (Mom, Dean and me) your life. Thank you for being so dedicated.

In my eyes, as I grew up I believed you were perfect, you could not and did not do wrong in my eyes. Now that I am an adult, I realize being perfect is unattainable but you are the greatest man I know. You being my father has made my life great. You set good examples and instilled values that allow me to rise above the unenlightened.

I want you to listen to the song by Randy Travis "He Walked on Water" because that is how I saw (see) you. Zac feels the same way about you also. Zac believes you walk on water.

Tributes to our Patriarch

We miss you so much paw paw!

you were the best!
By LeeAnn Haley. Posted on Oct 16, 2006


Ben Haley was one of the most decent person I have ever met. He loved his family very much. His Grandchildren and Grandchildren were his life. He will be missed by all.
By Cynthia Chodosh. Posted on Oct 16, 2006


So sorry for your loss. Love,Ronda Haley & Kristian Johnson
By Ronda Haley. Posted on Oct 16, 2006


Dad - you did your job well. You raised us, educated us, loved us as children and brought us up into adulthood to know what is important in life; that is being involved with your family and working hard to support them. We all miss you indefinately and continuously. The other day we were talking about you and the computer just went off - and you said you didn’t know how to turn one on and off. :) I know your spirit remains through each one of us and you will never be forgotten. Also, yesterday on the way to the cemetary did you hear that sound Choom --gulp, gulp ..... that was all of the cars we were passing up all of the cars. Don’t you know that was all of the cars being sucked down our exhaust pipe. :) LUV U

P.S. The military salute was great and the flag is moms consolation. Don’t worry about us - we will live in your shoes everyday.
By Dean Haley. Posted on Oct 14, 2006


Ben Haley was a great person. He was a kind and caring. He was sincere, compassionate and fair. He had a great wit and yet a real common sense kind of guy. He loved his family dearly and with out a doubt will be greatly missed by all who new him.
By Talbot Beall. Posted on Oct 14, 2006


I am Bennie's older brother, and bennie was only 8 years old when I went in the Army in 1945 and I never really went back home. Bennie was always a kind boy and seemed to be liked by his class mates and his favorite teacher Mrs. Shaw. We will miss him greatly and I wish I could be at the funeral.
By Charles Haley Jr.. Posted on Oct 12, 2006

2 comments:

Jaime Kenedeño said...

I am one of Ben's Sister-in-laws. We were all more like one family rather than inlaws. Ben and Margaret and cnildren, Scott and Dean spent many days and hours with us. We have always prized the family ties that we have . Later, Scott's children became a part of our life, and Ben and Charlie always tried to let them have horse rides on their birthdays, at least 1 birthday for each child.
These past few years that we have spent in Utopia, Ben and Margaret came every time they could. Ben and Charlie loved sitting in the living room and looking out the Patio door, watching the deer, and looking at the scenery. Our "Utopia" was truly "Utopia" to them also. The time we were able to spend with them is priceless. I will always miss him very much, and hope to see more of My sister Margaret.
By Nelda Saunders. Posted on Oct 29, 2006

Unknown said...

When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

When tomorrow starts without me
And I am not there to see
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me.

I wish so much you would not cry
The way you did today.
While thinking of the many things
We did not get to say.

I know how much you love me
As much as I love you.
And each time that you think of me
I know you will miss me too.

But when tomorrow starts without me
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name,
And took me by the hand.

And said my place was ready,
In heaven far above,
And that I would have to leave behind,
All those I dearly loved.

But when I walked though heavens gates,
I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me,
From His great golden throne.

He said " This is eternity,
And all I promised you."
Today for life on earth is past,
But here it starts anew.

I promise no tomorrow,
For today will always last,
And since each days the same way,
There is no longing for the past.

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Do not think were far apart.
For every time you think of me,
I am right there in your heart.

David M. Ramano